Moving can be a stressful and overwhelming experience, but it doesn’t have to be. By avoiding the most common moving mistakes, you can ensure that your move goes as smoothly as possible. Here are the top 10 most common moving mistakes and how to avoid them:
- Not Planning Ahead: One of the biggest mistakes that people make when moving is not planning ahead. To avoid this mistake, create a moving timeline and stick to it. This will help you stay organized and ensure that you have enough time to complete all of the tasks that need to be done.
Pro-Tip: Create a moving timeline and stick to it. This will help you stay organized and ensure that you have enough time to complete all of the tasks that need to be done.
- Not Decluttering: Another common mistake that people make when moving is not decluttering. It is important to go through your belongings and get rid of anything that you no longer need or use. This will not only make your move easier, but it will also save you money on moving costs.
Pro-Tip: Set aside some time to go through your belongings and get rid of anything that you no longer need or use and sell it in a garage sale or on an app like Facebook Marketplace for some extra cash.. This will not only make your move easier, but it will also help you pay for moving costs.
- Not Checking Insurance Coverage: Before you move, it is important to check your insurance coverage. Make sure that your belongings will be covered during transport and that you have enough coverage to replace any items that may be lost or damaged.
Pro-Tip: We’ve partnered with movinginsurance.com to provide optional additional policies so you can have peace of mind with additional coverage.
- Not Labeling Boxes: It can be easy to get caught up in the excitement of packing and forget to label your boxes. However, this is a common mistake that can lead to confusion and wasted time when you are unpacking. Be sure to label your boxes with their contents and the room in which they belong.
Pro-Tip: Label your boxes with their contents and the room in which they belong. This will help you stay organized and make unpacking easier.
- Not Hiring Professional Movers: While some people may be tempted to save money by moving themselves, this can be a big mistake. Professional movers have the experience and equipment necessary to safely and efficiently move your belongings.
Pro-Tip: Get your free quote from Elite Moving!
- Not Measuring Furniture: Before you move, it is important to measure your furniture to ensure that it will fit in your new home. This will prevent the disappointment of finding out that your couch won’t fit through the door of your new living room.
Pro-Tip: Consider the width of doorways and hallways, especially if you have oversized furniture.
- Not Packing Properly: Packing properly is essential to ensuring that your belongings arrive safely at your new home. Use high-quality boxes and packing materials and ensure your items are well-cushioned and protected.
Pro-Tip: Use packing peanuts to fill any empty spaces inside of boxes, this will help to prevent your items from moving around too much and getting damaged during transport. And always make sure to label your boxes clearly with “fragile” or “handle with care” to ensure that your movers know to take extra care when handling those boxes.
- Not Keeping Important Documents Together: When moving, it can be easy to lose track of important documents such as birth certificates, passports, and other legal documents. To avoid this mistake, create a file for important documents and keep them together in a safe place.
Pro-Tip: Create a “moving binder” where you can keep all your important documents throughout the move.
- Not Notifying Utilities and Services: It is important to notify your utility and service providers of your move. This will ensure that your services are disconnected at your old home and connected at your new home.
Pro-Tip: Start the process early to ensure you have everything the utility companies might require, such as documentation or security deposits.
- Not Preparing for the Move Mentally: Preparing for a move can be mentally exhausting. The process of leaving behind the familiar surroundings of your old home can be difficult. To avoid this mistake, take the time to mentally prepare for your move. This can include talking to friends and family, journaling, or seeking counseling.
Pro-Tip: Take some time off to focus on not only the move but also to refresh and recharge.
By avoiding these common moving mistakes, you can ensure that your move is as smooth and stress-free as possible. Remember to plan ahead, declutter, check your insurance coverage, label your boxes, hire professional movers, measure your furniture, pack properly, keep important documents together, notify utilities and services, and prepare for the move mentally. With these tips in mind, you’ll be well on your way to a successful move.